Thursday, April 17, 2008

A VISIT TO THE "OLD HOME TOWN"

Earlier this week, I went to Springfield for a couple of meetings. Ken McClure and I are working on some things regarding today's One Accord. Ken and his wife, Joey, were in One Accord in the early years. In fact, Joey gave us the name and then they were married in the First Baptist Church of Springfield.

I also had a meeting with Dr. Arthur Mallory. I wish all WAJ'ers could meet Arthur. He has always been a leader and as I have said many times to many people, he was the best commissioner of education the state of Missouri has ever had. Parents as Teachers began in his brain and that organization may be the best export the state of Missouri has in the 21st century. Arthur is helping with the "College Begins in Kindergarten" idea that I have fostered. He will make a great contribution to that endeavor.

Finally, I went to the cemetery where my parents were laid to rest. That is always a very sobering time for me. As I stood above their graves, I had to reflect on their lives and what they did for me. They were always giving and loved doing so. They believed in me and helped me so much educationally. After leaving the Army, I went home and got things ready to go to Baylor. My mother said she wished she could go with me and my dad said: "Why not?" We'll come to Waco on Sunday and will bring you back home. My mother and I were deep into Oklahoma when she discovered she had her house shoes on. There were so many special things. My dad would always go way out of his way to help anyone. He had a vision for Branson before Branson did. As I stood over their graves, I could not help but think what death did to their bodies and silenced these very giving people. The first time I went back to Springfield after they died, I felt like an orphan because for the first time in my life I didn't have a place to stay and no parents with whom to share. Not only that, I lost great prayer support.

How grateful to Christ we should all be when we stand over graves of loved ones, that there is more. There is more because of Christ. Hallelujah. As John Hagee says: "Hallelujah to the Lamb of God."

1 comment:

stacey O'Hara said...

Truly amazing parents.
They did an incredible job
raising you. I know they are so
proud of you.
What a great day it will be when we are
all joined together in heaven forever.

Love,
Stacey O