Tuesday, April 1, 2008

FEW SERVE

Here are some headlines that are not unfamiliar to anyone who has interest in either local or national news: BROWN HIRED TO COACH UNIVERSITY BASKETBALL; BLACK ASSUMES PRESIDENCY OF UNIVERSITY; SMITH ELECTED TO CONGRESS; JONES TO TAKE SUPERINTENDENCY OF DISTRICT; JOHNSON NEW CEO OF AREA'S LARGEST CORPORATION.

Without attaching real names to positions such as the above, one main ingredient is missing from each headline. What is missing is one of the things that is wrong with today's America. So many take positions because of upward mobility and the salaries and prestige attached to the position rather than doing what the positions demand. One should SERVE as basketball coach; One should SERVE as president of a university; One should SERVE as superintendent of schools; One should SERVE as CEO. One should SERVE as a Congressman or Congresswoman.

As I view decisions made by individuals who know little about leadership and yet they are in positions of leadership, it makes me want to cry out "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?" I don't know a lot about a lot, but I do know what makes a good leader. I could list a bunch of characteristics that a great leader should possess, but that is not the purpose of this blog. What I want to do is underscore some decisions made by one of the best superintendents of schools that I have seen anyone serving in that capacity can make. That has to do with endeavoring to help with weakest students in the district. This lady has brought corporations, clergy, and the school district together to do some great things. In doing these things, she is SERVING as superintendent. Last week, I had a breakfast meeting with the president and CEO of what one person calls the greatest export of Missouri. That lady is SERVING in her CEO position.

As Chairman of the Board of MOHELA, I want to serve the state of Missouri and help our at-risk children be able to see the need for post-secondary education and realize they can have that experience. I want the state to see that College begins in Kindergarten. Nehemiah was a leader who SERVED. Jesus not only SAVED, He SERVED. In the final analysis, perhaps the best way to save is to SERVE.

2 comments:

stacey O'Hara said...

I've been thinking....
I think you need to run for
President of the United States. :)
I'd vote for you.
You're the whole package my friend! :)

Missed you at WAJ! Sue did a fantastic
job of putting this together on little to
no sleep! It was a great time!

Love,
Stacey O

Valerie M. Russo Evans said...

Hi,

I'd like to send you a book to review. Please contact me.

valerie.russo@hbgusa.com