Thursday, April 24, 2008

THE LEADER'S TOUGHEST JOB

Usually when one is appointed to a position of leadership and has the responsibility of leading people, he/she must take the time to know the people, maybe even something about their personal lives, and learn how the company or corporation functions. A good friend of mine said that during the first year on a job, you usually just learn where the water fountain and restroom are located. If a leader is interested in moving the institution forward, he seeks wise counsel and makes decisions that are best for all. If he/she makes a mistake in judgement and decisions, the best thing to do is admit it. It is like making a mistake in parenting. When a mistake is made, don't try to bluff your way through, admit you were wrong. A number of years ago, One Accord was practicing in the worship center of Parkway Baptist Church in St. Louis County. I was at the piano and my son, Ricky, was sitting in the choir loft when suddenly he got out of his seat, walked across the platform and the many cords we had on the stage. I immediately leaped from the piano bench and loudly said:" Ricky, how many times has daddy told you not to walk across the microphone cords!" His meager reply was: "Daddy, Kenny asked me to come down." There I was with egg on my face, foot in my mouth knowing full-well that I had made a BIG mistake. How to correct it was my goal. I certainly apologized to Ricky, but didn't let it stop there. During the next several weeks, I often took the opportunity to tell people in front of Ricky what a bad mistake his daddy had made. The bottom line in that story was I should have trusted him. He was always easy to discipline and I should have had more confidence in him than I showed.

The leader of an organization has to EARN TRUST. It doesn't come just because you are an executive, superintendent of schools or CEO. There is always a question if the person is trustworthy. One becomes trustworthy when he/she endeavors to do the right thing. Bruce Weber, head basketball coach at the University of Illinois said:"No matter your position, you must be willing to carry the ice." A preacher must always be willing to set up the chairs. Chaplain Brown, in his making friends in the Regimental Area said: "A chaplain is the only one who can loaf and still be doing his official duty." He meant by that statement that the chaplain just doesn't stay in his office, but does his best to create relationships and build trust.

If the principal of a school or superintendent of schools is not trusted, then he/she has a BIG problem that probably will not be resolved until the individuals either change or leave. Doing the right thing in the treatment of employees will build trust.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

John,

Thanks for the great insight. I just took over as worship pastor at First Baptist Troy, MO. I feel like I'm in the "honeymoon" phase right now and people will follow me but I will have to earn their trust and respect as a leader if want that to continue. I've found in the last decade of ministry that people will follow for a short time but you must establish yourself as a leader if you want to earn their long term support and trust.

Your words came right at "God's time." It was the boost and encouragement I needed today. I'd love to meet with you sometime if you ever have time. I'm in the St. Charles area often...I'd love to hear from you. Drop me an email if you get a chance. info@jamesericmyers.com

Thanks again for the words of wisdom.

stacey O'Hara said...

This blog is so true! I've had many bosses through the years. Some probably didn't even know my first name let alone personal things about me and my family.
The ones that I trusted had gained my respect and because of that, I was willing to do anything for them.
Thanks for sharing!

p.s. I had a blast at the Dove Awards. I'm so proud of Sue!