Tuesday, September 11, 2007

REUNION TIME

Friday, September 7 was the day for our high school reunion. The day began early for me as I had to chair a meeting of MOHELA that began at 8:00 am. I was dressed in slacks, shirt, tie, and sport jacket. At 10:00 am, I dismissed myself from the meeting and started the 210 mile drive to Springfield.

There was not a time for me to change my dress because our group was to leave Springfield at 2 pm for the bus ride to Branson. Everyone else was dressed appropiately for Branson. I was still in my board meeting attire. At Branson, suddenly the rain stopped and the sun came out and I was still in my more formal dress. It was very hot as we toured the Landing and then ate at the Candlestick Inn, which overlooks Branson. After the Soji Tabuchi (spelling) Show, we returned to Springfield and finally at 11 pm I was able to switch to pajamas.

We were able to tour the original Greenwood building on the campus of Missouri State University which now houses the School of Education. The building shows wear and tear after all these years, but we enjoyed reliving special days of an earlier life. There was a swimming pool in the building and it now houses the ceramic division of the art department. Ceramic materials are now in the pool structure which is plainly in view. We then toured the new Greenwood and had lunch in one of the Commons areas of Missouri State University.

In the evening, we dined at Riverside Inn in Ozark, MO and had a time of remembrance as well as a skit, and trying to remember the businesses on the Springfield square when we were in high school. I gave out a lot of door prizes, including an autographed baseball by Lou Brock for Jerry Fallin's grandson.

Sunday we met informally in an area of Fay Ollis's apartment. Wayne Niederhuth, our class president, gave a devotional and then I went to the piano and we sang some Christian choruses. Good time!!

For me, the most striking thing about those in attendance, was their Christian commitment. Our original class had 28 members. Six are now deceased and 17 attended the reunion. Mike is a trustee in his church; Paul is a trustee in his church;
Wayne is a pastor; Jerry is a leader in his church, FBC-Orlando, Fl: George is a pastor, David, Beverly, Barbara, Ann, Gigi, and Bill are active in their churches.

Today, I went to the Christian Businessmen's Prayer Breakfast. Cal Thomas was the speaker. God is really GOOD.

1 comment:

Stacey O'Hara said...

Hey.....you've never played the piano at WAJ!!!!

Have you been holding out on us???

I actually opened for Cal when he came to Iowa to

speak at an event. I was a nervous wreck and Cal

did great.

I'm so happy that your reunion went well.

Love you,

Stacey O'Hara