Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Thought on Violence in America

I know I am old. I was born in a previous century, went to elementary and high school in a previous century and went to college in a previous century and received my degrees in a previous century. Most of my work life was in a previous century, so you might perceive that I am still in that century. In these, my later years, I have endeavored not to be caught up in the "way it used to be." I have seen that approach too many times to count. One, however, can't help to have questions about why the violence in America in the 21st century. We have always had various kinds of mental illness. Although we haven't treated it the same way, we have had it. We have always had good and not so good schools. We have always had good and poor parenting. We have always had single parenting. We have always had good and poor churches. What then is the problem? Could it be that people with mental illness is not the problem? Could it be that our schools are not teaching the "right stuff?" Could it be that some parenting is not doing the right thing and parents are not role models? Could it be that many of our churches are leaving out the most important part? I kinda think that if we go back to where violence really began in America, it started when we decided to make Jesus just another guy who has appeared on the world' stage. Our schools, in the name of political correctness, and following orders from the government feel His teaching are old fashioned and out of date. Many of our homes have said that Jesus is not relevant in today's society. We should be able to do most anything we want to do. There are far too many churches that talk about the "Mythology" of Christianity. I do believe in the freedom of religion. I just happen to believe that Jesus IS the Son of God. That means I now live under grace that is more than flavored by what Jesus said. If Jesus is truly the Son of God, why is that not important in the 21st century. If Jesus is the most important person to grace our planet, why is it politically incorrect to have a class about him in school. Could it be that violence in America is really caused by neglect of the perfection of Jesus? Could it be that violence is caused by the products of today's schools, parents and churches? Maybe we should rethink our problems, trace their origin, and find out that what we are doing in many places is absolutely the wrong thing.

No comments: