Saturday, May 31, 2008

JUST SOME THOUGHTS

For some reason, I just have not felt like writing a blog for the past week or so. I haven't had any brilliant thoughts to share, in fact, it has been a time of assorted things coming into my life.

I am happy about our proposed kindergarten-college program. It is not what I visualized at the beginning of the process, but turns out to be better than what I originally planned. I was told the the "devil is in the planning" by my friend Dr. Arthur Mallory. Truer words were never spoken. Then MOHELA has been going through the problems that the student loan industry is facing at this time. I had not thought about partnering with other agencies, but now having these people "on board" will bring this program into reality. Praise the Lord for this!!

Rick Sullivan, who was appointed to head the St. Louis School District by Governor Matt Blunt let the air out of my balloon when we met in his office. His main concern was being able to track the children because of the extreme problem of knowing where the children were, as there is much moving in, out, and around the district. It appeared that he was not in favor of our program. As quickly as the air was removed, he made it better by suggesting that we partner with Habitat for Humanity who has the ability to track "at risk" children and that can help make the program work. He then said that he wanted this program in the St. Louis School District.

Originally, I wanted to begin the program in the 2008-09 academic year. Finally, I realized that this would not happen. Then it occurred to me that Habitat for Humanity could identify the students who would be in kindergarten in the 2009-10 school year. This would allow Parents as Teachers to work with the students and their families from January 2009 until school started in August. God has good ideas does He not!

There are many things to do and I want to have a brain storming lunch at MOHELA that will include someone from Habitat, Sue Stepelton from Parents as Teachers, Arthur Mallory, Diana Borisaw, Rick Sullivan, Ray Bayer from MOHELA, Dr. Doug Petty from the St. Louis Clergy, Ed Watkins and me. Hopefully, this meeting will help to finalize the plans needed to make this program work for the children.

Ray Bayer has told me that we can have office space at MOHELA without charge. God is GOOD. ALL THE TIME.

I would appreciate any prayer support readers might supply for this project.

2 comments:

stacey O'Hara said...

Free office space??? AWESOME!! :)
I agree it is so hard to track children
who's families move all the time. I'm
so happy to know there is a solution!
Mark me down for prayer support.

Much Love,

Anonymous said...

How does a kindergarten program mesh with MOHELA's current mission statement of providing "lower-cost student loans and other financial and educational resources to benefit a diverse group of students so they can access higher education and to enable them to successfully complete postsecondary educational programs?" Seem like they are having enough trouble just keeping the lights on.