Wednesday, February 13, 2008

AN OLD STORY

In going through some materials to be used at the new One Accord website (under construction) I ran across an article from the "Tulsa, OK Tribune." It was dated December 3, 1964 and was an article about my grandmother Smith who had been a sixth grade elementary teacher in Billings, MO ( just west of Springfield) in 1901 and 1902.

The picture in the article shows my grandmother who was 84 at the time was meeting with one of her students, Elmer Jones for the first time in 62 years. Their meeting took place in the home of Mrs. Smith's niece where Mrs. Smith was staying in Tulsa. "I hadn't seen Elmer since the close of school in the spring of 1902," she said."Naturally, he has changed a lot, but he still resembles the boy who was my student, although larger than I had him pictured."

Jones declared that Mrs Smith "looks a lot like I remembered her during all these years - she sure looks good to me. . I guess I have thought of her a million times over the years."

How did the former teacher and student get together after all these years? "My cousin from St. Louis was visiting with my wife and me and we were talking about teachers who had made an impression on us." Jones said.

I mentioned Rose Smith and my cousin said 'Why she's an aunt of my sister-in-law, Mrs. Burd who arranged for our visit. I'm sure happy she did."

For those of you who teach today, you just never know the impact you are having on your students. God bless our teachers.

2 comments:

stacey O'Hara said...

Thanks for this blog and for your
kind words for teachers!
It's so much fun for me to see how my
past students are doing.
I love it when they e-mail or send
me a letter to tell me that they haven't
forgotten me.
I had wonderful teachers growing up and
and I was blessed with a great education.
I know teaching can be exhausting at times, but it
is very rewarding. :)

Anonymous said...

True words spoken by someone who had an eternal impact on countless lives while he was an educator and counselor! (I LOVE it that he was "larger" than she remembered. That made me laugh out loud!)